By Kelly Schmidt, Content Manager at United Way of Salt Lake
In celebration of National 211 Day, we at United Way of Salt Lake want to share the many reasons why Utah 211 positively impacts the people of our state.
211 provides Utahns with a starting point to find assistance when fiscal, health, or social resources might be lacking. The easy-to-remember phone number empowers people with information and knowledge to positively change their own lives.
Thanks to Utah 211, there is no longer a wrong number when seeking to find or give help.
Here are the top 10 reasons why the referral service matters:
1. For more than 10 years, Utah 211 has connected people to resources and services such as rent and utility help, food assistance, and income support.
2. More than 150,000 Utahns receive help from 211 each year.
3. There are more than 9,600 services offered across the state through 211.
4. More than 2,800 service providers partner with Utah 211 to get people the help they need.
5. 211 is more than a phone number. Utahns can be connected to resources in many ways such as text, email, live online chat, and app and web searches.
6. Volunteers can be connected to meaningful service opportunities in their communities through 211.
7. Information specialists go beyond providing resources for immediate needs. A needs assessment helps address a caller’s root problem, better assisting them long-term.
8. 211 can be reached 24/7, 365 days a year.
9. A vast amount of data is housed through 211 that can identify disparities and gaps in service availability, to better inform the way resources and support systems are delivered to Utahns.
10. Utah 211 provides disaster assistance during hurricanes, wildfires, and other natural disasters to not only support other call centers during times of crisis, but get survivors back to living their lives faster.
Learn more about 211 and their cast resource database by visiting 211utah.org